Users logged into the secure MDPHnet website will be able to generate data reports in several different ways. The first process is to run a set of pre-defined reports developed to execute against the ESP data model. The MDPHnet portal will allow the user to access aggregated views of the ESP data, pulled from different locations, into one cohesive standardized report. Users can also schedule the reports to run on a recurring basis (ex. Every Monday; once a month; etc.). Alternatively, the user can send her/his own analytic code to query the ESP database, or select from a standard list of fields for a unique report.
The MDPHnet Governance Advisory Committee will help define governance rules that dictate access to the data from the ESP locations. Governance rules will include not only who has access to what data but also how the recipients use the data.
The MDPHnet project is starting with an installation of ESP at the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers (MLCHC). We will use two diseases as proof of principal of the power of MDPHnet: influenza-like illness (ILI) and diabetes. Project team members include staff from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH), the League, DPM, Lincoln Peak Partners (LPP), and the Massachusetts eHealth Institute (MeHI). The Project Team will be responsible for guiding all project activities, establishing and participating in a Learning Collaborative to address issues of sustainability and viability, and performing evaluation of the software. Phase 1 of the MDPHnet installation will include standing up the PopMedNet portal as MDPHnet and linking the MDPHnet portal to the MLCHC ESP installation. MDPHnet Phase 2 will incorporate the requested changes identified through the governance rules discussion.
- Improve surveillance and event reporting to MDPH and thus improve reporting efficiencies at both MDPH and MLCHC
- Improve collaboration with provider groups through quality improvement and improved event reporting
- Identify gaps in surveillance and reporting practices
- Strengthen population health management
- Develop more efficient and analytic approach to use of clinical data through the use MDPHnet data
- Explore research opportunities through use of these data
- Strengthen relationship with community members by providing better service through the use of MDPHnet data
The goal of the project is to establish a platform through which MDPH and MLCHC staff and community health center providers can access population health reports for influenza-like illness and diabetes that are timely and useful. Evaluations will be performed to assess the usability of the MDPHnet portal as well as the data generated from ESP and MDPHnet.