New Contract will Build on MeHI’s Work in Support of HIE & EHR Utilization
The Commonwealth’s Executive Office of Health and Human Services' (EOHHS) Mass HIway program recently announced a new contract with MeHI to develop and deliver services to promote the adoption and utilization of health information exchange (HIE) by healthcare organizations statewide.
MeHI was selected by EOHHS after responding to an open, competitive procurement, and recently started work under the contract. Under the agreement, MeHI will work with EOHHS to:
- Increase access to the HIway;
- Increase active use of electronic exchange in clinical practice;
- Measure impact that health information exchange has on the delivery of healthcare services; and
- Identify potential new services and opportunities in the growing healthcare IT market.
“We look forward to building on the community’s past efforts to connect Massachusetts healthcare providers to the HIway and to dramatically increase the provider to provider exchange of health care data to support patient care,” said Laurance Stuntz, Director of MeHI and a member of the Commonwealth’s HIT Council. “We’ve worked closely with EOHHS and the Mass HIway since our founding as a state entity, including recent efforts to grow the healthcare technology sector across the state through the Massachusetts Digital Health Initiative.”
The Mass HIway Account Management and Outreach effort was previously staffed by the Massachusetts eHealth Collaborative (MAeHC), which oversaw strong growth in HIway engagement. Since September 2014, the HIway grew from 165 participants to 1,385 participants, who send over 9 million transactions per month via the HIway. That includes an increase in the use of exchange for care coordination, which has increased 39% over the last year.
Prior to starting this new project with EOHHS, MeHI has managed several projects in support of the HIway, including:
- The development of an HIE Toolkit which includes guides, templates, and forms to help develop effective connections to an HIE like the Mass HIway;
- Managed numerous grant programs for Massachusetts healthcare providers to support the adoption of EHR systems, encourage information exchange between regional partners, and to fuel connections to the HIE; and
- Maintained an up-to-date directory & map of all participating organizations on the HIway.
Over the coming weeks, MeHI will work to EOHHS to finalize transition of the Mass HIway Outreach & Account Management projects to MeHI. If you have questions about MeHI’s programs or this new work on behalf of the Mass HIway, do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries. We will also be announcing the new HIway project team and account managers at MeHI over the coming weeks.
About the Massachusetts eHealth Institute:
MeHI, or the Massachusetts eHealth Institute at the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative, is the state's entity for healthcare innovation, technology, and competitiveness and is responsible for advancing the dissemination of health information technology throughout Massachusetts, including the deployment of electronic health records systems in healthcare provider settings and connecting them through the Mass HIway, the statewide health information exchange. For more information, please visit http://mehi.masstech.org and follow @MassEHealth.